The Colorado Can Do 5!
Five hospital maternity care practices that will help with successful breastfeeding:
1. Infants are breastfed in the first hour after birth.
2. Infants stay in the same room as their mothers.
3. Infants are fed only breast milk and receive no supplementation.
4. No pacifier is used.
5. Staff gives mothers a telephone number to call for help with breastfeeding.
Publications and Print
Hospitals achieving the Colorado Can Do 5! B.E.S.T. (Breastfeeding Excellence Starts Today) Award
33 Colorado hospitals currently have this recognition and we hope many more to come! This means they have policies that describe each of the five practices that are a part of the Can Do 5!
The hospitals recognized at the Annual Colorado Breastfeeding Summit in 2012 are:
- The Medical Center of Aurora
- University of Colorado Hospital
- St. Francis Medical Center
- Delta Memorial Hospital
- Exempla Saint Joseph Hospital
- Presbyterian/St Luke’s Medical Center
- Swedish Medical Center
- Estes Park Medical Center
- St. Anthony Summit Medical Center
- Littleton Adventist Hospital
- Sky Ridge Medical Center
- Longmont United Hospital
- Avista Adventist Hospital
- Medical Center of the Rockies
- Parker Adventist Hospital
- Parkview Medical Center
- Sterling Regional Medical Center
- St. Anthony North Hospital
- Exempla Lutheran Medical Center
- Yuma District Hospital
Previous Hospitals recognized in 2011:
- Aspen Valley Hospital
- Poudre Valley Hospital
- Rose Medical Center
- North Suburban Medical Center
- Exempla Good Samaritan Medical Center
- North Colorado Medical Center
- Heart of the Rockies Regional Medical Center
- Boulder Community Hospital
- St. Mary's Hospital & Regional Medical Center
- Denver Health Medical Center
- Memorial Health System
- McKee Medical Center
- Colorado Plains Medical Center